UL is mainly engaged in product safety certification and operating safety certification business. Its purpose is to obtain products with a considerable safety standard for the market and contribute to the guarantee of personal health and property safety. In terms of product safety certification as an effective means to eliminate technical barriers to international trade, UL also plays an active role in promoting the development of international trade. UL was founded in 1894. In the initial stage, UL mainly relied on funds provided by the fire insurance department to maintain its operations. It was not until 1916 that UL was completely independent. After nearly a hundred years of development, UL has become a world-renowned certification body with a complete set of strict organization management system, standard development and product certification procedures. UL is managed by a board of directors composed of representatives from safety experts, government officials, consumers, education, public utilities, insurance and standards departments, and the daily work is handled by the president and vice president. Currently, UL has five laboratories in the United States, headquartered in Northbrook Town, north of Chicago, and has established corresponding laboratories in Taiwan and Hong Kong. In the United States, for consumers, UL is a symbol of safety marks. Globally, UL is one of the trusted conformity assessment providers for manufacturers.
The UL mark is usually marked on the product and/or product packaging to indicate that the product has passed UL certification and meets the requirements of safety standards.
The necessity of UL certification
Products sold in the U.S. market require compulsory UL certification. Whether it is products in the U.S. or exported to other countries, UL certification testing must be carried out. We can see many electronic products in the products on the market. All products have the UL certification mark, which is a conduction and radiation test on the product. It is of great significance in the US market. UL certification is an important passport and pass in the US market. Only this marked product can enter smoothly. To the US market.
UL certification scope
Electronic, electrical, mechanical or electromechanical products
Any electronic, electrical, mechanical or electromechanical product with the UL mark indicates that the product has met the requirements of the generally recognized product safety standards in the United States and Canada. It has been tested and meets the relevant product safety standards, and it also represents the agreement of the production plant Receive strict regular inspections to ensure the consistency of product quality and can be sold to the US and Canadian markets.
Significance of certification
The significance of the UL certification mark to the enterprise:
1. The entire US market pays great attention to product safety; when consumers and purchasers choose products, they will choose products with UL certification marks.
2. UL has a history of more than 100 years, and the image of safety is deeply ingrained by consumers and the government. If you do not directly sell products to consumers, the intermediary will also require the products to have UL certification marks to make the products sell well.
3. American consumers and purchasers have more confidence in the company's products.
4. The U.S. federal, state, county, and city governments have a total of more than 40,000 political districts, all of which recognize the UL certification mark.
UL certification application process
1. The applicant submits relevant company and product information
Written application: You should request UL company to test your company's products in writing.
Company Information: Provide the detailed and accurate name, address, contact person, postal code, telephone and fax of the following units in both Chinese and English. (1) Applicant company: the company that submits product testing applications and is responsible for all engineering service costs
(2) Listed companies: companies whose names are listed in various product catalogs published by UL
(3) Production plant: the manufacturer and producer of the product.
Product information: Product information should be provided in English. First determine whether your product falls within the scope of UL testing,
(1) Product name: Provide the full name of the product.
(2) Product model: List all the product models, varieties or classification numbers that need to be tested in detail.
(3) The intended use of the product: for example: homes, offices, factories, coal mines, ships, etc.
(4) Parts list: List the parts and models (classification numbers), ratings, and manufacturer's names that make up the product in detail. For insulating materials, please provide the name of the raw material, for example: GE Polycarbonate, Lexan Type 104. When the part has obtained UL certification or approval, please prove the specific model of the part and indicate its UL file number.
(5) Electrical performance: For electronic and electrical products. Provide electrical schematic diagram (circuit diagram), electrical performance table.
(6) Structure diagram: For most products, the structure diagram or exploded diagram, ingredient list, etc. of the product must be provided.
(7) Product photos, instructions for use, safety and other items or installation instructions, etc.
2. The person makes a decision based on the product information provided
When the product information is complete, UL engineers make the following decisions based on the information: the UL standard that the experiment is based on, the engineering cost of the test, the time of the test, the number of samples, etc., to notify you in writing, and a formal application form and follow-up service The agreement is sent to your company. The fee limit is indicated in the application form, which is a large project cost estimated by UL based on the test items. Without your company's written authorization, the fee limit cannot be exceeded.
3. Apply for company remittance, return application form and samples
The UL certification applicant signs the application form and the tracking service agreement, and returns the form to UL company. At the same time, the sample is sent by bank transfer at the post office or by express mail. Please make appropriate responses to the samples sent for inspection Description (such as name, model). Please send the application form and samples separately. For each application project, UL will specify the project number (Project No.) to indicate the project number and the name of the application company when sending remittances, sending samples and application forms to facilitate UL's inspection.
4. Product testing
After receiving the application form, remittance, and experimental samples signed by your company, UL will notify you of the completion time of the experimental plan. Product testing is generally carried out in UL laboratories in the United States, and UL can also accept audited third-party test data. The experimental samples will be returned or destroyed according to your request. If the product test results meet the requirements of the UL standard, UL will issue a test qualification report and a follow-up service procedure (FollowUp Service Proccdure) test report that will detail the test conditions, the indicators reached by the sample, the product structure, and the safety signs suitable for the use of the product. The follow-up service rules include a description of the product and instructions for UL regional inspectors. A copy of the test report is sent to the applicant company, and a copy of the tracking service rules is sent to each production factory.
5. The applicant is authorized to use the UL mark
The UL regional inspector in China contacts the production plant for the first factory inspection (Initial Production Inspection).
.IPI), the inspector checks your products and their parts in the production line and warehouse inventory to confirm whether the product structure and parts are consistent with the tracking service rules. If required in the rules, the regional inspectors will also conduct witness experiments , When the inspection results meet the requirements, the applicant is authorized to use the UL mark.
Routine is 3-4 weeks, can be expedited